Monday, May 7, 2012

Why I Model the 1920's

As much as I'd like it to be true, "why do you model the 1920's" isn't the most common question I hear about the Vasona Branch layout. "How long have you been building it?" or "You've got trains in your garage?!" probably are the most common questions. But I wish it were.

And here's one reason why. Here's the photo of Del Monte's dried fruit packing plant, Plant 51, after a recent operating session. That's 9 cars on the siding. There's room for another six (and it appears busy, not crowded.) Some crew is going to get lost navigating between those cars trying to figure out what they're pulling out today.

Here's the photo with modern cars. Eight cars, room for another three, and the scene's looking a little bit overstuffed.

That's called more fun per unit area.

[Modern boxcars and covered hoppers courtesy of teenage me. The silver Swift reefer was on my original HO Bachman loop of track.]

1 comment:

  1. I very much enjoy reading about your layout and I've gotten some good ideas that I used on my layout since I'm modeling SP in the 20's & 30's in the LA and Mojave area.

    ReplyDelete